Kalang provides advice and delivers services to collaboratively build capacity and achieve biosecurity and trade related outcomes.
Kalang provides regional capacity building within the areas of biosecurity and technical market access, for the DFAT funded PHAMA program as a subcontractor to AECOM.
Kalang works directly with:
- Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC) Biosecurity and Trade Services;
- Biosecurity Authority Fiji (BAF) and Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) Fiji; and
- Governments of Australia, New Zealand, PNG, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga and Vanuatu.
Specific areas of capacity building provided by Kalang under the PHAMA program include:
- oversight and guidance of government endorsed private-public market access working groups in each country as a national priority setting body;
- support to exporters and regulatory agencies to improve their capacity to successfully implement export requirements;
- support to the private sector, and government research and quarantine staff to develop innovative export process for fresh and semi-processed products;
- development of detailed design and implementation policy and operational documents; development and delivery of capacity building to individuals (e.g. within partner governments) and groups (e.g. small scale farmer groups); and
- facilitating linkages between the agricultural research, extension and quarantine services in-country.